Saturday, March 16, 2019

Artemis by Andy Weir


I chose to read a newer book that Andy Weir had written for this week.  Artemis falls into the same genre as The Martian but instead follows a civilization (and heist) on the moon.  I absolutely love heists stories and this one did not fail.  There is murder and twists like in all good thieving stories.  I would hate to compare this work to Ocean's Eleven, because then it would fall short, but it has the same structure as that story meaning that every time the audience is getting comfortable something big happens and you are pulled back into the story. 

Another reason why I picked up this book was due to it being about a female person of color.  Not only is it hard to find women as leads in science fiction, but never would you find a middle eastern woman.  The best part was that her race and sex where not just thrown in there to have a female poc pov, but he used it in parts to further the plot.  At one point she wears a Burqa to go undercover.  Another she is a prostitute in a fancy hotel.  She herself is not very religious but her father is, so we can see him finding ways to keep to his religion while on the moon.  

And finally I chose to read this work because, have I mentioned, it takes place on the moon! Like most humans, I have a huge fascination with the moon itself, so mention that a book is going to take place on it and I am ready to read.  Andy Weir constantly reminded us in the work that that was where we were; wether it was through the low gravity, the hot sun, the small living conditions, the illegal imported goods, the bad wifi (I think you get it, he was constantly reminding us), but he also did it through the science.  There were moments throughout the work where he would stop and give us a science lesson through the main protagonist, which was always used to educate and further the plot.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hitchhiker's Radio Guide Show

I felt like I was one of the few people at this point in my life who had not read or seen the movie for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...