Friday, March 29, 2019

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

While reading this short novel I was constantly wondering where the ending was going to take us.  Sure the book is about broken systems, so I knew that the brainwashing would not "work out all right" and leave Alex becoming a better person, but I was expecting something more than what I was given.  One of the thought I had while reading this work was that they would have Alex overcome his old life, start a family, and then have teenagers come and destroy his family like he did to others.  That might have been too much irony, but I think it would have felt more just.  Instead we are left with him seeing how his son will grow up to be like him and there is nothing he can do, but in the end it will be alright because man is not a machine so we grow and play by our own rules.
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hitchhiker's Radio Guide Show

I felt like I was one of the few people at this point in my life who had not read or seen the movie for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...